What Is Go Army Ed? And How Do I Apply?

The United States military has many different programs that can help pay educational expenses. Whether you are a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine there are options and programs to help pay for college, whether while you are serving in uniform or after you leave for civilian life.

Go Army Ed Can Help Soldiers Pay for School

If you are serving in the U.S. Army on active duty or in reserve status, you may be eligible for aid in paying your college tuition through a program called “Tuition Assistance”. Tuition Assistance will pay up to $250 per semester hour (capped at $4,500 per fiscal year) if you are voluntarily taking college classes after duty hours.Until recently, the tuition assistance program was managed by local Army Education Counselors at each post across the Army. Now the GoArmyEd website is the single place where Active Army, Army Reserve and Army National Guard Soldiers go to apply and manage their tuition assistance benefit. All you have to do is log into the website and your tuition assistance information will be displayed.

Who Has Access?

Schools and colleges also have access to GoArmyEd. When you enroll in courses, the school submits invoices, final grades and graduation reports directly to the Army through the GoArmyEd web site and directly receives payment. Before attempting to enroll in a school, however, make sure that they are accredited; only accredited institutions are eligible for payments under the tuition assistance program.You should also know that schools eligible for enrollment through GoArmyEd are not limited to those offering traditional academic degree programs. There are also a wide variety of schools offering vocational and technical training that are eligible for tuition assistance as well.

The Benefits….

There are many other educational benefits that you can manage through GoArmyEd. GoArmyEd is the gateway to the Army Continuing Education System, which offers services such as education counseling and a wide variety of testing programs for Soldiers.The Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Testing Support (DANTES) has programs to allow Soldiers to take academic and vocational tests at little to no cost. DANTES programs can also be accessed through GoArmyEd. Instead of taking formal classes, Soldiers can try to obtain college credit by passing CLEP (College Level Examination Program) tests through DANTES. If they are seeking admission to graduate school, Soldiers can take entrance tests such as the Law School Admission Test (LSAT), Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) through DANTES as well.

How Do I Apply?

If you are a member of the U.S. Army, getting access to the GoArmyEd website is simple. Simply go to , enter your identifying information and your account will be established. After that, you should not have to submit any paperwork for your tuition assistance except for periodic approval forms from your supervisor. GoArmyEd is a fast, simple, easy to use application that helps you achieve your educational goals through the Army Tuition Assistance Program.