How Does a School Determine How Many Credits To Give Me For My Military Experience and Training?

militaryDid you know is it possible to get college credit for military service? When a soldier interviews with a facility member (usually after enrollment), the college representative will review the military transcript and determine the number of credits to award for service. Each college has their own policies, leaving soldiers wondering, “How does a school determine how many credits to give me for military service?”

Which College Will Award More Credit?

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) are schools that have an agreement with the military to award the most credits possible to servicemembers. A list of these colleges by state can be found at Military Online Education

Who Determines the Credits

The American Council on Education, funded by The Department of Defense, reviews the transcripts and makes recommendations about educational credit. The school then determines the credits based on the specific military training and its application to the intended degree of the soldier.

How Much Credit Can I Get?

Universities can award a total of 90 semester units for military service. Community colleges can award a total of 70 semester units. The credits are usually applied to electives. The breakdown is as follows:

  • A total of 6 credits for every year of military service.
  • Up to 12 credits for skills-based learning. (Evaluated after 30 hours of in residence coursework. A portfolio of the skill-based learning must be presented for evaluation.
  • Up to 24 credits for Extensive and Special Session coursework.

It is important to remember that all work must be documented.

How Do I Get a Copy of My Transcript?

Each branch of the military has its own recording system for documenting training.

The army requires that you be enrolled in college before receiving credit for military service. You can access your AARTS (Army American Registry Transcript System) for a complete record of classes attended and the recommended credits you should receive in college.

The navy and marines also require you to be enrolled in college. You can access your SMART (Sailor/Marine American Registry Transcript), which will contain your documented education and a recommendation for credits awarded.

The air force requires you to visit an educational center on an air force base or veterans office to complete form 2099 (Request for Community College of the Air Force Transcript). You will need to follow up with your college in two to three weeks to learn the recommendation. The college is not obligated to follow the recommendation.

Are There Any Other Ways to Receive Credit?

Every student has the right to take the CLEP (College Level Examination Program)for course credit. If you are particularly strong in a given subject, consider investigating whether a CLEP test is available. There are over thirty tests available and you could receive credit-by-examination.

The American Council on Education (ACE) works with colleges to determine the number of credits for military education. Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges will award the most credit for military training. For more more information on enrolling in college and obtaining your records see How to Convert Military Training to College Credits.

To find out more about how to get credit for you military service, take a look at “TOP 10 BEST MILITARY DEGREES“.